Quicken files can be easily converted to QuickBooks. Both Quicken and QuickBooks can be used to manage your business tasks. Both Quicken and QuickBooks can be used simultaneously, but they serve the same purpose. You can also do it online and QuickBooks Desktop. This blog will cover the whole process of converting Quicken to QuickBooks. Quicken and QuickBooks are both popular finance tools, so people often compare them. It is important to note, however, that they do not serve the same purpose. Small businesses use QuickBooks for accounting, while individuals and families use Quicken for finances. While QuickBooks offers an online version of its software that many businesses can use, Quicken offers local software that individuals can access. You can also easily convert from quicken to Quickbooks.
Factors to Consider Before Converting Quicken to QuickBooks
We have listed below some things you need to know before you convert from quicken to quickbooks.
- Converting Quicken data to QuickBooks is irreversible. Once you’ve converted your Quicken data into QuickBooks, it will be impossible to open it in Quicken again.
- Make sure you have a backup copy of your Quicken data before performing the conversion. You can also perform the conversion using a copy of your Quicken data.
- Quicken Mac software can only be used if you first convert Quicken Mac files to Windows files.
- As it can pose some problems for your data, we recommend that you begin the conversion from a new file before switching to QuickBooks.
Instances When You Must Use Quicken Converter
We have listed below all possible scenarios in which the Quicken Converter can be used to convert Quicken into QuickBooks.
- You can use the Conversion Utility to convert to QuickBooks Desktop if you have Quicken Versions that are parallel to QuickBooks Desktop versions. Quicken 2019 can be converted to QuickBooks Pro, Premier, or Enterprise 2019.
- Quicken Mac: Quicken Converter and Conversion Utility tools are not able to convert Quicken Mac data files. You will need to convert the file to Quicken Windows. You can also create a new QuickBooks company account.
- Only use the Quicken Converter if you’re migrating from Quicken which isn’t a parallel version to your QuickBooks Desktop. Quicken 2018 to QuickBooks Pro Premier, Enterprise 2020, etc.
What is the best way to convert Quicken data to QuickBooks Desktop?
Converting Quicken to QuickBooks Desktop will increase your business productivity. There are two methods that will help you convert Quicken to QuickBooks Desktop.
- Before you convert, use the Quicken converter
- Use the conversion utility to convert directly to QuickBooks Desktop
1: Before Conversion, use the Quicken Converter to Update Your Company File
Important: Before you start the conversion process, ensure that there is no other version of the converter program installed. If you do have an older version, uninstall it and then download the correct one.
- Download the version of the converter that matches your QuickBooks Desktop version.
- Quicken 2021 Converter
- Quicken 2020 Converter
- Quicken 2019 Converter
- Quicken 2018 Converter
Follow the steps below to download the converter tool and then start the conversion process.
- The Quicken Converter can be opened and selected Next.
- Click Next after selecting I agree to the license agreement.
- Click Next to begin the Quicken Converter installation. Followed by Install.
- Click on Finish to open Quicken Converter.
- Select the option “I am transferring data from Quicken For Windows” and then click Get Started.
- Click on Next > Open a file on this computer> File.
- Browse to locate your Quicken file (.QDF), and click on OK.
- Click on Convert it after that! Click on Convert it! and then click OK.
- To save your Quicken Data File (.QDF), click on Save and select Exit.
You will have updated to a compatible Quicken version. Now you can convert Quicken to QuickBooks using Conversion Utility in QuickBooks.
It creates a file called.QFX (that you can’t use for conversion), and a file called.QDF (the file you want to transform). Then, locate the upgraded.QDF files in Q18Files and Q17Files. It will be located in the same folder as your original Quicken file and have the same name.
2: Convert directly into QuickBooks Desktop using the Conversion Utility
Use the Conversion Utility in QuickBooks to convert Quicken to QuickBooks Desktop.
- Click on File and select Utilities. Next, click on Convert. Choose Quicken from the dropdown menu.
- Next, choose the Quicken file (.QDF), that you wish to convert to QuickBooks.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to finish the Conversion Utility process.
- For more information about the Conversion Utility press F1 and then type “convert From Quicken” into the search bar.